Thursday, May 5, 2011

El Dandy: A Real Jam Up Guy

El Dandy was my favorite luchadore. I've never been shy about it. As Chris Jericho famously said, he looks like the winner of a Lou Ferrigno look-a-like contest, if Ferrigno weighed 200 pounds and only stood 5 foot 7 that is.

I never saw Dandy actually win a match but I thought he had the greatest name in professional wrestling. Hulk, Axe, Hitman, Psycho, Assassin, Grizzly, The Snake. DANDY. It sends chills down your spine.
I don't think there are words to describe how great this photo is. I believe it was taken during Dandy's CMLL or AAA or whatever Mexican promotion days. Not only was he a snazzy dresser but apparently he could score.

This leads to one of my favorite WCW promos of all time and one of my favorite Bret Hart promos of all time. Bret had the US title and feels that El Dandy would be the best contender to his title. Timeless stuff. He refers to Dandy as a "real jam up guy" which must be Canadian for "fat, Mexican jobber."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment